Sunday, May 19, 2013

Character Analysis: Ophelia

1. "...but, good my brother, do not, as some ungracious pastors do, show me the steep and thorny way to heaven, whiles, like a puffed and reckless libertine, himself the primrose path of dalliance treads and recks not his own rede." (I.3.46-51)
   Ophelia is having a conversation with her brother Laertes. Laertes is warning her about Hamlet and advising her to stay away. You can tell Ophelia loves her brother, but she does not want him to be a hypocrite with the advise he gives to her.

2. "I do not know, my lord, what I should think." (I.3.104)
  Polonius is now talking to Ophelia about Hamlet. As she is telling her father how Hamlet has been asking, she realizes she does not know what it all means. She is so young and she does not know what to think. In her head, someone as great and well-known as Hamlet, coming on to her is amazing. But as she stops and thinks about it, she does not really know what to do.

3. "I shall obey, my lord." (I.3.136)
  Good for Ophelia. I am proud of her. She says this to her father after he finishes telling her that she should not speak to Hamlet any longer. When a girl likes a guy, it is usually very hard for them to stop talking to them or stop being around them. And when Ophelia says she will obey, it's not like she says she will but really won't, she really does obey her father and she tries to stay away from Hamlet.

4. "I was the more deceived." (III.1.120)
   Poor Ophelia! She must be so confused. Ophelia says this is the midst of Hamlet telling her that he used to love her but he doesn't anymore, and then he says that he never loved her at all. But Ophelia loves him so much, she must be so heartbroken and confused by Hamlet.

5. "He is dead and gone, lady, he is dead and gone; at his head a grass-green turf, at his heels a stone." (IV.5.29-32)
   Ophelia has gone crazy. She comes to the castle to talk to Gertrude and throughout the whole conversation, Ophelia is singing a song. And Claudius comes in, and she sings even more. She has gone crazy, and I think it is between what Hamlet has done to her, and her father's death. It gets so bad that Ophelia dies, but most people think it was a suicide attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment